Monday, September 01, 2008

Michel Gondry Tribute

In one of those "A-Ha" moments, I ran across much of Michel Gondry's work on U-tube. Have you ever found an unexpected common thread that tied up some of your favorite things? Without realizing the connection, turns out I've been a big fan of Michel Gondry and his work for years. What's amazing as well is that they were some of my favorite things from such dramatically different creative arenas. I was amazed to find that this one man tied them all together.

First one of my favorite movies, it was an engaging and challenging movie, and a visual and creative stunner (plus it didn't help that it starred sexy Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal. Plus for extra pop culture kick it also starred Charlotte Gainsbourg, daughter of the lengendary French crooner Serge Gainsbourg.



Some of my favorite commercials and videos have also come from Michel Gondry, the list is too long to post, but this Smirnof ad is pretty representational. I've always loved this sort of surreal, fast cut, morphing approach. He's done work for Levi's, HP, and several European companies.



And how's this for a pop culture overdose, a piece by Michel Gondry, featuring Bjork playing a piano that drives a 70s spin art machine (I LOVED Spin Art!).



Then to top it all off, I find that he did my all-time favorite music video. It's a bit a classic from the Chemical Brothers. That at first glance just seems to be a camera pointed out a train window, then you realize that the light poles and various buildings are whizzing in time to the music. They apparently took hundreds of hours of footage from this train, then went through and picked the best ones, then did some major video editing to make this seamless video. Everytime you watch it you realize that almost every little thing in the video picks up some musical motif in the music.



Well enjoy!

No comments: